WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A GOOD MATE?
Maybe it’s turning up at a friend’s door with a takeaway after a busy day, sending a meme you know they’ll find funny, or being there when they’re struggling. It can be hard to know when someone you care about is finding things tough and even harder to know what to say – we got you.
YOU’RE ALREADY A GOOD MATE IF YOU’RE READING THIS
Just the fact you’re taking time to read this, means you care. We all go through tough times, from breakups, to worries about our identity – If you know your friend is going through something, take some time to read up on it so you can understand and empathise, because when you’ve got a good friend behind you, it can make things feel way less scary.
Just by being there, you’re probably making things a bit easier. Carry on doing all the things you’d usually do – keep talking and keep meeting up to do stuff you both enjoy. It’s also important to remember that while you want to be a stellar friend, it’s not all on your shoulders. Look after yourself too. The CALM helpline is there for anyone who is struggling, including you. If things are tough, talk to us.
KEEP AN EYE OUT
Something feel weird? Trust your instinct.
We can all be masters of disguise when we want to be, smiling and nodding in social situ’s to cover up what’s really going on. It’s not always easy to know when someone is feeling shit, but here’s some stuff that might help:
- Ups and downs in their mood
- Wanting to hang out less
- Changes to their routine, like sleeping and eating
- Seeming flat or low on energy
- Neglecting themselves, showering less, or caring less about their personal appearance
- Seeming reckless or making rash decisions
- Increased alcohol or drug abuse
- Being more angry or irritable than usual
- Talking about suicide/wanting to die in a vague or joking way
- Giving away their possessions
- Saying goodbye to friends and family as if they won’t see them again